Monday, April 03, 2006

Prayer doesn't work?

A scientific study was recently published - you've probably read about it in mainstream news - saying that prayer simply doesn't work. At least, not for people in hospitals who aren't aware that complete strangers are praying for them. Now, I'm not one to say that the scientific method is bogus since I use it quite frequently, but trying to test God in the process of prayer seems kind of silly. I mean, seriously - didn't those guys in 1 Kings 17-21 figure that one out? I always envisioned Elijah talking smack to the Baal worshippers .. "Maybe he is sleeping" .. classic! But back to the point. Deuteronomy 6:16 says, "Do not test the Lord your God as you did at Massah." Jesus quotes that in Matthew 4:7. So, it seems kind of pointless trying to test God when He specifically says not to. I know the reasoning almost appeals to the supernatural, but perhaps the results are the way they are because of God's insistence of not testing Him. And after examining the experiment itself, I'm not truly convinced of the scientific integrity of the study. But that's beside the point. The point is, don't test God.

But for all of the doubters out there, I thought I would open this entry for comments from users who have empirical proof that prayer works. If you have ever had a prayer answered, post a comment about it. The sheer number of answered prayers speaks much louder than a botched "scientific" experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home