Saturday, March 25, 2006

News flash: Sweet Tooth Outsmarted by Wisdom Tooth

I don't know about you, but I love going to the dentist about as much as I love getting a kick in the pants. I freely admit that I am a pansy when it comes to anything dealing with my teeth. Technology hasn't yet advanced far enough to make teeth cloning a viable dental plan, so I reluctantly visit my orthodontist as infrequently as possible, which amounts to once every six months. Last time I went to the dentist, I was told to take out all of my wisdom teeth even though most of them were fine. Great.

Chew on this: Researchers believe that wisdom teeth should be extracted regardless if they are asymptomatic. At first, I thought it was a conspiracy with health insurers, researchers, and over-paid orthodontists to milk every last dollar out of the poor unsuspecting patient. But it turns out that the researchers are on to something - wisdom teeth can cause cysts, tumors, infection, and chronic inflammation no matter if they are crowding other teeth. The problem lies even deeper than the mouth, though - bacteria can enter the bloodstream and really wreak havoc, causing fun things like strokes, diabetes, coronary artery disease, and etc.

Sin is a lot like wisdom teeth. It might be comfortable now, but it has far more reaching consequences that can seep into our lives later on. Matthew 5:29-30 says, "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. "

I struggle with this verse. I know exactly what causes me to stumble, but my sweet tooth tells me to keep it around. I need to have my wisdom teeth extracted metaphysically - the venues from which sin can manifest itself need to be removed. Please pray for me that I can overcome the everyday temptations and remove the opportunities for the tempter to tempt me. I encourage everyone to have their wisdom teeth taken out - it's the healthy thing to do

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home